Ministering to Suicidal Desperation
STUDENTS • PARENTS • YOUTH LEADERS
You are invited to learn how to talk about suicide and how to prevent the epidemic it is becoming in our community and across the country.
Youth Soul Shop for Adult Leaders | Youth Leaders and Parents
Thursday, September 13 | 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM | The Underground
This is a one-day mental health orientation for youth leaders, parents and other adults designed to equip with the facts about suicide in today’s culture as well as tools to identify those at risk for suicide, have direct, loving conversations and provide support within a Biblical context.
Trusted Adult Training | Youth Leaders and Parents
Sunday, September 16 | 4:00 – 5:30 PM | The Underground
To educate youth leaders, parents and other adults about the signs and symptoms of adolescent depression and suicide to they are able to recognize and ACT in order to help students who are struggling.
You Are Enough Event | Students, Youth Leaders and Parents
Sunday, September 23 | 5:00 – 7:00 PM | The Underground
Join us for pizza as we host John Trautwein from the Will to Live Foundation who will share his message of healing in order to prevent teen suicide through education about mental health and encouraging all to recognize and speak up about the love and hope that exists in each other.
Childcare available upon request.
5:00 – 5:30: Dinner
5:30 – 6:30: John Trautwein
6:30 – 7:00: Q/A for Parents and a Q/A for Students
Parent Follow-Up Workshop | Parents
Sunday, September 30 | 5:00 – 6:30 PM | The Underground
Learn how to talk about suicide with your child. Co-hosted by Mount Pisgah and The Summit.
Learn More and Register:
Addressing suicidal desperation as a regular aspect of ministry
Inside Soul Shop you will…
- Explode the greatest myth regarding suicidal desperation.
- Learn how to solve the greatest problem for people who need to talk about suicide.
- Explore the hidden impact of suicide and suicidal desperation upon faith communities.
- Learn a conversational approach to saving the life of someone considering suicide.
- Discover a way of asking someone about suicide that is nonjudgmental, clear, and direct.
- Take a second look at what the Bible actually has to say about suicide, suicide attempts, and suicidal thinking.
- Learn how to make ministry to the desperate and those who love them a regular aspect of your preaching, teaching, and pastoral care.
- Think about making your church a community where people navigating the dangerous passages of life find a place where they can reinvent their lives rather than self-destruct.
We explore the question, “Should we talk about suicide?” and discover that people dealing with suicide actually want to talk about it. We look at the incidence of suicide, self-injuries, suicidal thinking, and people impacted by the death of another. Finally, we offer a simple conversational approach to talking about suicide that can save lives.
We learn how to make ministry to those dealing with suicidal desperation an aspect of all that the church does. We do a quick review of Biblical texts and make suggestions for preaching. We practice writing pastoral prayers and pray them together. We learn concrete ways of integrating suicide prevention into our pastoral care, teaching, and training.