Caring for Our Community
As First Responders, your work can mean close encounters with danger, chaos, and tragedy…on a daily basis! In your “normal” line of duty, you are called upon to respond to “abnormal” situations. Exposure to stress like this can take a toll on you and your relationships. In some cases, you may experience post-traumatic stress symptoms such as:
- Emotional numbness
- Heightened worry, guilt, anger or hopelessness
- Avoidance of people, places or things that are reminders of the trauma
- A loss of interest in things that once gave pleasure
- Feeling anxious, on edge or jumpy, and startling easily
- Sleep issues
- Problems with drinking, drugs or food
- Flashbacks, nightmares, and/or recurring thoughts
It is not unusual to feel “stuck” or unable to move forward when confronted with a stressful event. Temporary discomfort is normal. However, when troubling reactions continue to interfere with your daily life, counseling can be helpful.
Caring for Those Who Serve Our Community
Because we recognize and appreciate all that you do for our community, the First Responders Counseling Program was implemented to provide counseling services to the men and women who serve our community each and every day!
- Individual, Couples and Family Counseling
- Confidential and Anonymous
- No pre-approval required
- No need to go through Employment Assistance Program
- 10 Complimentary Sessions for First Responders
- 5 Complimentary Sessions for First Responder Family Members
Partnerships and Financial Support
The Summit currently partners with the following local jurisdictions to offer the First Responders Program to their officers:
The First Responder Counseling Program was started through seed money from Johns Creek United Methodist Church and is administered by The Summit Counseling Center. To contribute to the ongoing sustainability of the program, contact Development@SummitCounseling.org or contribute online at SummitCounseling.org/Give, check the box for Tribute Gift and type in First Responders Counseling Program for the jurisdiction that you would like to support.